LOOKING FOR: SCIENCE GRADUATE WITH STRONG QUANTITATIVE SKILLS FOR GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL PROJECT
Location: based in Hong Kong
Start date: As soon as possible
Contract: Full Time
Can we quantify nature and the pace at which we are destroying it? Data is abundant, but also scattered, jargon-filled and poorly disseminated. Consequently, the true magnitude of human encroachment on natural ecosystems still eludes the public.
By leveraging artificial intelligence and remote sensing technology, Earth.Org’s Natural Capital Ledger seeks to create an interactive geospatial database which, just like an accounting ledger, takes stock of the current natural capital and tacks its historic rate of depletion.
By mapping the depletion of key natural capital assets, we hope to combat apathy, educate and advocate for countries to weave the principles of natural capital accountancy into their economic development policies.
We believe in the power of technology to address global issues. This project will help monitor the Earth’s health through satellite image mapping and derive insights into humanity’s encroachment on natural ecosystems by analysing changes in the environment over time.
The main objective is to create the Natural Capital Ledger. This is a geo-spatial platform that combines satellite technology, artificial intelligence and cloud computing to derive insights on the health of natural ecosystems.
Are you smart, gritty and exude a can-do attitude? Do you want to contribute your skills to build a visionary tool to make the World more sustainable? Then apply to Earth.Org. We are seeking a entrepreneurial science graduate to join a young and dynamic team in Hong Kong.
TASKS & DUTIES
- Lead a small team of statisticians, AI experts and graphic designers
- Develop and refine algorithms able to detect patterns across vast amounts of satellite image data
- Help the team correlate chromatic changes to environmental indicators
- Ability to project results onto GIS maps
- Generally, have the attitude and aptitude to inspire a young and dynamic team to obtain results.
- Degree in computer science, mathematics, environmental science, statistics, data analytics, artificial intelligence, physics or any related field.
- Previous experience in working with remote-sensing technology, AI or cloud computing a definite plus
- Technical familiarity with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is desirable
- Previous leadership experience in a scientific setting highly valued
- Excellent command of the English language is essential
- Proven ability to work under pressure in a multicultural, multi-site environment
- Results-driven with a can-do attitude