SCIENCE GRADUATE WITH STRONG QUANTITATIVE SKILLS FOR GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL PROJECT
Location: based in Hong Kong
Start date: As soon as possible
Contract: Full Time
Earth.Org is a social-environmental enterprise that uses cloud-powered artificial intelligence and geospatial analytics to generate actionable insights to inform, educate and advocate for a more sustainable world.
We believe in the power of technology to address global issues. Earth.Org through its flagship Natural Capital Ledger project will monitor the Earth’s health through satellite image mapping and derive insights into humanity’s encroachment on natural ecosystems by analysing changes in the environment over time.
Are you smart, gritty and exude a can-do attitude? Do you want to contribute your skills to build a visionary tool to make the World a more sustainable place? Looking forward to working in a dynamic company with a strong start-up ethos? Then apply to Earth.Org!
TASKS & DUTIES
- Be the driving force in an ambitious tech-oriented social-enterprise
- Manage & coordinate in-house and remote teams
- Deliverables include working with Earth Analytics instruments (like Google Earth Engine) to derive insights on the state of the Planet and create powerful visualisations.
- Forward the scientific vision of the organisation by knitting fruitful collaborations with data providers, research institutions and collaborators
- Lead a small data-visualisation team.
- Work with GIS mapping systems.
- Have the attitude and aptitude to inspire a young and dynamic team to obtain results.
- Proven ability to work under pressure in a multicultural environment
- Results-driven with a can-do attitude
TASKS & DUTIES
- Derive insights from satellite image processing
- Develop and refine algorithms able to detect patterns across vast amounts of satellite image data
- Help the team correlate chromatic changes to environmental indicators
- Ability to project results onto GIS maps
- Degree in Geography, Biology, Earth Sciences or related fields with demonstrable experience in Python, R
- Degree holders from related fields, including advanced mathematics, physics, computer science, statistics and artificial intelligence are also encouraged to apply
- Be passionate about Nature and have a willingness to creatively apply existing open-source tools to obtain novel insights. Ability to turn personal curiosity into tangible deliverables for the public readership.
- Previous experience in working with remote-sensing technology a definite plus
- Technical familiarity with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is desirable
- Familiarity with Google Earth Engine tools is a definite plus.
- Experience with frequentist and Baysesian statistics is a plus but not required
- Experience with R, Python, Java Script, Bash is desirable
- Candidates with experience running multiple machine learning model ensembles, using a variety of gradient boosting, neural networks, random forests and variations on linear regressions will be preferred
- Excellent command of the English language is essential
- Proven ability to work under pressure in a multicultural, multi-site environment
To apply please provide a cover letter, an up to date CV, and availability.
We put passion, hunger to learn and grit over technical ability.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract, Permanent with competitive compensation