Start date: As soon as possible
Location: Remote or in Hong Kong
We are looking for an enthusiastic volunteer (unpaid) Assistant Editor who love words and nature. Themes include (but are not limited to): climate change, environmental degradation, use of technology for environmental monitoring, rising sea levels, melting ice caps, impoverishment of marine and terrestrial biodiversity.
Earth.Org is a not-for-profit environmental organisation based in Hong Kong. We aim to raise awareness about the loss of biodiversity and the deteriorating conditions of natural ecosystems worldwide. Our goal is to present accessible and engaging content for educational, advocacy and policy purposes.
● Become a global reference point for online environmental news and analysis
● Learn and write about the environmental issues you care about the most
● Build a reputation as a reliable source of factual information
● Strengthen your online portfolio on a reputable platform for a good cause
● Have your work circulate via our website, social media platforms and newsletters
● Sharpen your editing skills
● Bring Science closer to our readers with a clear and engaging prose
● Become a member of a worldwide community of vetted high-caliber writers
● Work with writers to edit their pieces and ensure copy is stylistically and tonally appropriate
● Producing informative and compelling pieces on the environmental issues of our day
● Producing at least 3 short-form/ long-form stories a week on newsworthy topics with analysis
● Research, collate and synthesise scientific content aligned with Earth.org’s mission
● Enhance public understanding of the issue at hand by breaking down complex topics into prose free of obscure acronyms and jargon
● Undergraduate degree, preferably in English, Journalism, Environmental Sciences, International Politics, Economics, or similar
● Excellent command of the English language
● Ability to discern and utilise relevant and appropriate sources
● Quick turnaround time, while prioritising quality of work
If you meet the aforementioned requirements, please get in touch with the recruitment team by filling out the box below.
Please also attach 2 pieces of writing on an environmental topic of your choosing, following our Editorial Guidelines.
We look forward to hearing from you!