The Earthshot Prize, created by Prince William, has announced that its first-ever awards ceremony will take place on Sunday, October 17 at the Alexandra Palace in London. Other famous landmarks across the capital city will also be a part of the event.
What is Happening?
- Since being announced in October 2020, the Earthshot Prize team, in collaboration with its Global Alliance network of over 200 nominators, has been searching the world- from businesses to governments, grassroots initiatives and more- for solutions to our Earthshot challenges and identifying a final set of innovations from every corner of the globe.
- During the award ceremony, viewers will be able to meet the individuals and teams behind these ground-breaking solutions, and see the first five winners of The Earthshot Prize receive their awards. The team says that these solutions “will have the power to help repair our planet and improve life for people everywhere.” The event will also feature musical performances.
- Each awardee will receive £1 million to scale their solutions.
- The next 10 years will be critical for the future of our planet. Across the decade-long lifespan of the Prize, nine more international cities will be transformed into Earthshot venues, showcasing the worldwide impact of the Prize and profiling the incredible people working to repair our planet. By the end of the decade, 10 global ceremonies will award fifty incredible winners with The Earthshot Prize.
- The five Earthshots challenges are: protect and restore nature, clean our air, revive our oceans, build a waste-free world and fix our climate. Each goal is underpinned by scientifically agreed targets, including the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The programme says that the Earthshots aim to generate “new ways of thinking, as well as new technologies, systems, policies and solutions.”
You might also like: Prince William Launches £50 Million Earthshot Prize to Encourage Climate Action
Prince William says, “The awards ceremony will be a truly global event, connecting people from all over the world to celebrate these inspiring leaders and their innovations to solve the world’s greatest environmental challenges.”