Our planet has already warmed around 1.1C since pre-industrial times, and we are still on track to exceed 1.5C of warming within the next two decades. The world continues to be ravaged by extreme weather events, from intense heat waves and droughts to severe storms and rainfall. Yet some people still deny the existence of climate change. Thankfully, a number of celebrities and famous figures have been using their platforms and influence to bring greater awareness about global ecological breakdowns and the worsening climate crisis. These are just some of the best and inspirational quotes from celebrities about the importance of protecting the planet and tackling climate change.
Inspirational Quotes from Celebrities
1. “We can no longer let the people in power decide what is politically possible. We can no longer let the people in power decide what hope is. Hope is not passive. Hope is not blah, blah, blah. Hope is telling the truth. Hope is taking action. And hope always comes from the people.” – climate activist Greta Thunberg at the Youth4Climate summit in 2021.
2. “The fact is that no species has ever had such wholesale control over everything on Earth, living or dead, as we now have. That lays upon us, whether we like it or not, an awesome responsibility. In our hands now lies not only our own future, but that of all other living creatures with whom we share the Earth.”- renowned naturalist Sir David Attenborough in the documentary series, Life On Earth.
“You are the last, best hope of Earth. We ask you to protect it. Or we, and all living things we cherish, are history.” – actor and environmentalist Leonardo DiCaprio to the United Nations in 2016.
4. “Fortunately, nature is amazingly resilient: places we have destroyed, given time and help, can once again support life, and endangered species can be given a second chance. And there is a growing number of people, especially young people, who are aware of these problems and are fighting for the survival of our only home, planet Earth. We must all join that fight before it is too late.” – renowned English primatologist Jane Goodall.
5. “As consumers we have so much power to change the world by just being careful in what we buy” – actress and environmental activist Emma Watson on fast fashion.
6. “Climate change is the greatest threat to our existence in our short history on this planet. Nobody’s going to buy their way out of its effects.” – Mark Ruffalo, actor and activist.
“Solutions to the climate crisis are within reach, but in order to capture them, we must take urgent action today across every level of society.” – Al Gore, the former US Vice President and Chairman of the Climate Reality Project.
8. “Care for the natural world. Not only care for the natural world, but treat it with a degree of respect and reverence…the future of the natural world is in our hands. In our daily lives, the thing I really care for… is not to waste the riches of the natural world on which we depend. Don’t throw away food, or throw away power, just care for the natural world, of which we are a part.” – Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge.
9. “There’s never been a ticking time bomb hanging over our heads. There’s a looming catastrophe that will affect all of humanity. That’s never happened before in the history of humankind…activism makes you hopeful. When you’re doing something that you think can possibly make a difference in concert with other people, not as an individual but together with other people, it lifts despair.” – Jane Fonda, actress and activist.
10. “Forests are the world’s air-conditioning system – the lungs of the planet – and we are on the verge of switching it off.” – Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales.
You might also like: 10 Inspiring Young Climate Activists Leading the Way on Global Climate Action
Featured image by: United Nations Photo/Flickr (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)